Sunday, August 18, 2013

MY MAGICAL MYSTERY TRIP

© Galiano Inn and Spa 2013

GALIANO ISLAND

All I knew was that I was going on a float plane to a secret location for my birthday. My husband told me to pack something smart for a dinner out and my camera gear, and that was it!

I climbed into Salt Spring Air's deHavilland Beaver in Vancouver harbour and we were up, up and away flying over Lion's Gate Bridge and past Point Atkinson. Soon we were over the Gulf Islands and landed in Ganges Harbour at Salt Spring Island. The pilot told me to stay put, we were flying on. Ten minutes later, we landed in Montagu Harbour on Galiano.

Our small beach outside our unit
The owner of the Galiano Inn and Spa met us, took a photo of us with the pilot, who said, "If I'd known it was your birthday, I would done some loops!" Connie whisked us away to Sturdies Bay. The inn is surrounded by the sea and gorgeous gardens; it has a fine dining resto and a beach bar where lunch is served. This has a wood-fired, brick oven, so the thin-crust pizzas are just like those in Italy. I recommend the Mediterranean veggie one.

Our unit is a fully-equipped one bedroom and living room on the ground floor that looks over a small beach and the ferry dock with Active Pass beyond. It has some unusual features: an outside fireplace on the patio, which also has a jacuzzi soaker tub, and a very efficient electric grill. But it was the shower in the big bathroom that captured my attention. Huge, with six nozzles and an overhead spray head, as well as eight fine needle spray jets for your back, it's big enough for three at least. I had a fine time in there this morning. The kitchen is spacious with all you need to cook up a storm. The place to buy food and meet the locals is a short drive away at Daystar Market.


Our car outside Galiano Books,
a must-browse
View from our patio
One reason my husband chose the Galiano Inn was that they have a fleet of five Smart Cars for the use of guests who arrive by sea plane or boat. We rented one for our first full day on the island. These pocket-sized cars are ideal for the narrow roads and country lanes here. The island is only 27 kms long and about 6 kms wide, so there's no long drives to do to see everything.







IMAGES: © Photos by Pharos 2013, except where noted. All rights reserved.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment